TurtleCraftyGirl

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Vintage High Tea Baby Shower



This past weekend, me and my sister's friends threw her a High Tea Baby Shower. I am so excited to post all the details of this shower. It was great to work on a non children party theme finally. The invites for this shower can be found here.




What would a tea party be without pretty tea cups. I bought few of these vintage styled tea cups online. I was not lucky enough to find any at the thrift store, however I did find other stuff like decorative tea pots for the shower, which I used as flower vases.


On each cup, a 'drink me' label was added with a ribbon. 


As you can see, the doilies were used extensively. On the main table, doilies were used as placemats. 

My sister's friend took the task of making these beautiful pink and blue mason jars which we used all over in the room.


For the table cloth, I bought flowery fabric by the yard. Now plan to re-purpose it to make some baby dresses.


Paper hanging decorations were made from doilies and the shabby chic paper that has been used all over the party. I got this idea from Fete a Fete blog.


I made these doilies banner with different sized and styled doilies. I found the plane ones at Michaels, and the ones with pattern all over, at amazon.  Colored these in different shades of pink using food color and stained few with tea water.




The cookies were a big hit. I used the same vintage design that was used as envelope liner, printed it on edible paper and transferred it onto the cookies. The valentine cookies I made last month was a trial for these shower cookies. Unlike the valentine cookies, I did frost these cookies with royal icing before adding the edible paper using cornstarch liquid. Here is the recipe for the cookies I used.




For the tea, we had 3 varieties of tea : Earl Grey Cream from Teevana, mix of Wild Orange Wulong & Youth Berry from Teevana, and Indian Chai. As the teas' from Teevana were loose leaves, we made muslin tea bags. This is the tutorial I followed for the tea bags. Displayed the tea bags in this vintage briefcase type cardboard box I picked up at Michaels.


For keeping the water hot for tea, I used Electro Thermopot(found at walmart). Got the one that could hold 3 liter water hot at 190 degrees, which is about the temperature to brew tea.



For the sugar, I made these heart shaped pink sugar cubes. 

The tutorial  for the making these sugar cubes is here.


Cake Table





For the cake, it was my sister's request that she wanted a chocolate cake, so I made chocolate Devil's cake. I ordered the sleeping baby cake topper from etsy.


To counter all the sweetness, I made these cucumber tea sandwiches. Here is the recipe. I made these sandwiches 4-5 hours in advance, and the trick to doing that is to salt the cut slices of cucumber for ten minutes. Then rinse and pat dry prior to adding it in the sandwich. This would prevent the cucumber slices from causing any sogginess. 


There were more Indian snacks like samosas and pakoras. Missed taking its pictures.


I found the molds for making these chocolate cups at Michaels. For some cups, I used chocolate bark, and for others I used semi sweet chocolate chips. The latter ones were more delicate to handle. The chocolate and the berries tasted so good together. I am not sure if many guests got a chance too taste these, as any time I saw my son, he had one in his hand. 


This is the baby wreath that my daughter's Nanny Emily made for baby's room. She has too much patience to painstakingly wound this yarn around a wreath so neatly.


I made this burlap pillow cover for mama-to-be's chair. For transferring the image onto the pillow, I used freezer paper. The result was not as dark as I hoped. 


Another project with burlap: printed the image directly on it using freezer paper. I love the clarity of this image.  Next to the framed burlap are the return favors. Its chocolate fudge wrapped it in wax paper, and some pink tissue.

Here is the chocolate fudge recipe I posted earlier. Added a label with a ribbon.


Mommy and Daddy cutting the cake.


Game Time...My sister playing the game of making a baby with putty. We played many more games and I think the game most enjoyed was ' Daddy Knows Best'. We asked around 10 questions to 'Dad-to-be' before the party, and made a video of it. And then in the party my sister had to guess what Dad must have answered. In the end we played Dad's video.  


And here is my little one waiting to meet her cousin Inaya in less than a month now, and to have her own tea party with her.

9 comments:

Henna Tangri said...

Sister! I love you so much... I have no words to express how lucky I am to have you as my sister...and no one has made me feel so special ever the way you did through this beautiful baby shower :)

Yamini Kaur said...

Wow Tania... this is just sooo beautiful !! Love the whole vintage look and I am sure everyone must have loved the tea and the yummy food !!

Lovely to see you Henna !! Wish you all the very very best !! Enjoy darling !!


Nitika said...

Henna & Saurabh, Congrats! Henna, you look radiant.

Tania, you should not be doing IT stuff. This is beyond professional grade. Love the attention to detail.

Flavia B. said...

Very sweet baby shower. It shows that you have put a lot of love in this party :-) Congratulations to your sister and thanks for the visit (and credit) to my blog!
Flavia (Fête à Fête)

www.fete-a-fete.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/feteus
www.feteus.etsy.com

Tania Tangri said...

Love u too my shishi. So happy u liked it.

Tania Tangri said...

Thanks Didi. Everyone enjoyed the tea .. It was Henna who selected the yummy flavors.

Tania Tangri said...

Thanks Nitika. You know what u have to do to get a shower like this :)

Ehrenfrids said...

Tania, that was a beautiful party you hosted for your sister. I love your creative ideas...Never knew you had such hidden talent back at SNDT.
Please update yr blog (About Me)that you have a daughter now...she is gorgeous
I enjoy reading yr blog and pictures you upload. Great going !!!

Tania Tangri said...

Thanks Ehren.Its nice to hear from you after so many years. And yes, I have just been too lazy to change the 'About Me' secttion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...